Burque Blues’ events are open to the public. Dance events, if you are new to them, may put you outside of your comfort zone. We want you to push yourself, learn new things, and meet people who will challenge you in whatever corner of the arts you pursue. We also want our events to be safe and accepting spaces. All attendees, instructors, organizers, and volunteers are required to comply with the following code of conduct.
By attending our classes or events, you agree to be a respectful adult human being:
- This environment is for everyone regardless of gender/gender identity, race, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, religion, or whatever. We do not tolerate harassment of any kind. If you harass someone, you may be asked to leave; you may be kicked out for life. It is at our discretion. So don’t do it.
- In keeping with the above, don’t use misogynist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or racist language. It’s not only wrong, it’s embarrassing and in bad taste.
- Don’t treat our events like a place for dating. Our dancers do not represent a large pool of people for you to date. If you engage in this kind of behavior and make our dancers uncomfortable, we will ask you to leave. Sometimes dance may be a place where you meet your life partner, but we suggest that you respect everyone’s boundaries and the people around you.
- Whether you’re dancing, playing music, or finger painting, do not offer unsolicited advice to your fellow students. In our experience the people who do this are usually wrong (and always annoying). General rule is between 30-60 minutes after a lesson, students can ask instructors for advice, but instructors are dancers too who want to have just as much fun as you!
- Generally behave like a responsible adult human being. We welcome every lifestyle and every flavor of person, but please be aware that you are in a semi-public space and act accordingly.
If you have any harassment-related complaints or issues, please bring your concerns to any member of Burque Blues organizers. We will treat these issues with the strictest confidentiality as organizers. Your courage in coming forward can keep incidents from being repeated and have you enjoy blues dance to the highest extent.
Alcohol and Substance Policy
At Burque Blues public events (such as at a dance studio), alcohol and other substances is not permitted. If alcohol and other substances is present, this presents us with a liability which may cause us to lose our venue and ability to keep having blues dance events. Please don’t be the one that causes us major headaches. At public events where alcohol is permitted, such as a bar or venue where alcohol is served, only those who are 21 or older with proper identification may consume such beverages. At house parties, depending on the host, you may be allowed to BYOB. Check with the organizers and hosts before to make sure.
Drink responsibly. If you appear intoxicated, we will ask you to leave. By coming to Burque Blues dance events, you agree to never drive a car under the influence – we are happy to call you a cab or ask a friend who is not intoxicated to drive you home. Underage drinking or illegal substance use will not be tolerated, and will result in immediate and permanent expulsion from the venue. Underage intoxication of any kind will have the same effect. Providing alcohol to a minor is illegal (and often a form of harassment). Providing or possessing illegal substances is illegal. If you do this, you will likewise be banned for life. We are serious about this.
To avoid any potential issues, we recommend that everyone seriously consider their own relationship with alcohol and other substances. If you’re a different (perhaps less appropriate or decent) person under the influence, then steer clear. If you need help dealing with alcohol or substance issues, feel free to contact one of the organizers in full confidentiality. We want you to have a great time, stay healthy, and be part of our awesome community!
*These policies adapted from the Mobtown Ballroom’s Code of Conduct, which you can find here.